Dr. Derek Angus launches health-centered podcast on JAMA Network
![]() |
| Title card for the Healthy Dialogue podcast. (Courtesy: JAMA Network) |
HPM alumnus Derek C. Angus, MD, MPH, FRCP, (MPH '92), has held many titles during his distinguished clinical and academic career, but never figured a podcast host would be one of them.
“I was asked to do it by JAMA’s editor-in-chief, Kirsten
Bibbins-Domingo,” said Angus, who is Senior Editor at JAMA. “I decided that I
should say ‘Yes’ for three reasons: I cared about the problem of how to make
science more accessible to broader audiences.
I was also about to step down as
department chair and knew I’d have more time on my hands, and as part of my
‘post-chair’ life, I thought it would be good for my neuroplasticity to take on
a task for which I really had no training.”
With that, Healthy
Dialogue was born.
The goal for each episode,
according to Angus, is to host conversations with leading experts on important topics
in health and health care and make the content accessible and digestible to a
broad audience.
“I’ve felt for a while that the gradual loss of trust by
society in science and in institutions has been a corrosive and increasingly
worrisome trend,” said Angus, adding that after a career of research that he
hoped was relevant to society, it was a depressing thought that all of that
effort by he and colleagues might “end” with publication in a peer-reviewed journal
without further dissemination.
Episodes typically begin with setting the stage about the topic
by working to answer the question: “How did we get here?” followed by discussion
of what makes the topic worthy of discussion at this particular time – for both
good and bad – and then what will happen next.
So far, Healthy Dialogue has hosted top experts on
subjects like autism, AI, dementia care and private equity in health care, something
Angus credits to having the support of JAMA.
“We’ve had Lasker award winners on the show already, and I’m
kind of hoping we’ll have some Nobel prize winners too at some point,” he said.
“It is of course both exciting to talk to these incredible people and pretty
petrifying – but despite any anxieties I might have ahead of time, every guest
so far has been quite lovely.”
In addition to drawing in health and health care leaders as
guests, Angus says being under the JAMA umbrella was something that appealed to
him too. “They have a wonderful multimedia team in Chicago, and they really
deserve the lion’s share of the credit.”
With seven episodes out and many more on the way, Angus says
he and his team are continuously working to improve it, trying to strike a
balance between informative and highly entertaining and accessible.
“I think that latter means having a casual, informal
and friendly banter on the show – which of course isn’t always easy when
talking about serious health conditions with people I’ve never met before,” he
added.
So, who can listeners expect to hear?
“I have a long list of wonderful biomedical scientists on
our wish list,” said Angus. “But, for example, I’d also love to chat with
people who hold huge sway over current healthcare delivery, like U.S. Centers
for Medicare and Medicaid Services administrator Mehmet Oz or U.S. Secretary of
Health and Human Services Robert F. Kennedy Jr.”
As a career health care professional, Angus says the podcast
is more about health than just health care, hence the title.
“I’m also really interested in it being a dialogue –
regardless of my own views. I’m hoping that the podcast can showcase all
pertinent viewpoints on any given topic. Again, hence the title”
- Mike Friend
