Celebrating Tina Micale’s 40 years at Pitt
For four decades, Tina Micale has known everything happening in her department, sometimes before it even happens. In early September, friends, family and colleagues finally got something past her as they celebrated her 40 years at Pitt with a surprise party.
Micale joined the Department of Health Services Administration (a precursor to HPM) in 1986 as senior secretary and quickly rose through the ranks, being named Department Administrator in 2002.
“That’s four decades of institutional memory walking around in
one person, which is incredible,” said Jen Palaski, Pitt Public Health Associate
Dean for Finance and Administration who worked alongside Micale as Department Administrator
for the Department of Biostatistics and Data Science before her current role. “When
you look at the progression of Tina’s career, each one was a sign of people
around her saying, ‘Give her more; she can handle it.”
Micale started her career by supporting faculty, and as many
of her colleagues can attest, “supporting” is often a generous way of saying “keeping
their entire professional life from falling apart.” Few in Public Health have
seen that more than HPM Professor Howard Degenholtz, PhD, who says he’s been
with the department “about 75 percent as long as Tina has.”
In a speech he called “I’ve Been Everywhere, and Tina Has
Too,” Degenholtz recalled countless office relocations and shifts, saying that
without Micale, morale could have dropped, things could have slipped through
the cracks or gotten lost, but they didn’t. He also commended her leadership
and compassion, noting that she stood up for her staff and younger faculty
members when they needed a champion.
“Tina clearly acts as the soul of this department,” said Professor
Emeritus Mark Roberts. “She defends her people from the most senior tenured
faculty member to the brand-new staff. We should all learn from the resilience,
strength, and work ethic that Tina exhibits”
Micale’s time at Pitt spans not just decades, but multiple
generations of families. For many years, she worked alongside Mary Kastner and
got to know her family, including her daughter Keri, who is now a project
coordinator in HPM.
“Tina recommended me to Howard, and while he did put me
through an actual interview, I always had a feeling Tina’s recommendation had more
weight than my answers did,” said Keri Kastner. “Because she put her name
behind mine, I always felt an extra responsibility to do well, work hard and
make her proud.”
Being a department administrator is a thankless job; if
you’re doing it well, all the long hours and extra effort can go unnoticed
because everything is running smoothly. Faculty, staff and students have come
and gone, some here longer than others, and through it all, Micale has worked
tirelessly to help them succeed at both work and in life, offering help,
guidance, advice or a place to let off some steam.
Roberts, who chaired HPM for several years, credits Micale’s
guidance for his success.
“When I became chair of the department, I had no idea how to
be a chair. I had not done that before. It turned out not to matter. Because
Tina taught me everything I needed to know,” he said. “I'm a decision
scientist. I study decision-making and how to make optimal decisions, and all
these fancy mathematical models to do that. But when it came to making
decisions in the department, I found a simple, non-mathematical solution. Just
ask Tina. It always worked.”
“There’s a reason ‘Ask Tina’ is a department policy,” added
Kastner. “She doesn’t just know the answers; she’s spent 40 years sharing what
she knows, mentoring staff and faculty and solving problems.”
The average tenure that an American employee has with an
employer is four years. “That means that Tina is 10 times as dedicated, 10
times as knowledgeable, 10 times as committed to the people that she works with
and the mission of the organization,” said HPM Professor and Chair Julie
Donohue, PhD. “I am happy every single day that I get to work with Tina. She is
my sounding board. She's my trusted confidant. I always know that she's going
to give me the right perspective on a problem.”
It’s not all about work for Micale, who’s also found time to
be a confidant and sounding board for friends all over campus. Elly Bresz, who,
before her current role as a Research Administration Manager at the School of
Computing and Information, worked as a research administrator in HPM, recalled a
lunch group Micale started that grew over time.
“That's the thing about Tina, even when you're a coworker,
or even work for her, she's still your friend,” said Bresz. “She has such a
rare abundance of kindness that she would always be asking more people. And our
lunch group got bigger, and we ended up with 10 or 12 people. We would laugh so
much. We probably bothered the people in the offices next to us, I'm sure,
because we were laughing so loudly and talking and learning sometimes.”
While there’s probably a lot more everyone who’s met and worked
with Micale could say about how she’s impacted their lives both personally and
professionally, it’s best summed up with this:
Thank you Tina, for everything. Congratulations on 40
incredible years.
-Mike Friend


Comments
Post a Comment